February 22, 2005

True Family Values



I received an interesting e-mail today from an organization called American Family Voices. At first I thought, "oh no, time for some more right wing propaganda." However, I was pleasantly surprised when I linked to the AFV site. There I found the following statements:
American Family Voices is focusing public attention on the issues that matter to working families.

AFV strongly feels that Social Security privatization is a dangerous gamble to make with workers' hard earned money.

Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) introduced a pension reform bill that would give workers more control over their pension funds and would hold greedy corporate executives more accountable if their actions result in pension losses. AFV feels that the Kennedy bill (S. 1992) is the best hope for progress in the pension debate.

Let's put some of (Bush's budget) cuts into perspective. Under the new budget, 154 programs would face heavy cuts or elimination. Total savings: about $15.3 billion. That seems like a lot, but consider this: the price tag on Bush's Medicare boondoggle jumped by nearly $200 billion in one day when shady accounting practices used to sell the legislation were exposed. Bush's deep cuts on things like housing for the mentally ill and child literacy programs will create only minimal savings.
I have no idea how I got on their list, nor do I know who's behind them. But I like how nice, safe and friendly their site looks:

afv

afv

Sometimes you've got to take a page out of the Republican handbook if you want to win the "Family Values" P.R. war...

No comments: