November 10, 2008

Run Don't, um, Sleepwalk


My wife, niece and I got to see Mike Birbiglia's one man show, Sleepwalk With Me last night. Mike is my favorite living American comedian (Dead: Mitch Hedberg; English: Eddie Izzard -- so Mike's in good company). Needless to say, we all loved the show.



Essentially, it's his standup routine, expanded and shaped into one story with multiple tangents, so the experience is a lot like going to a comedy club without having to sit next to drunken tourists. The story is all about Mike's battle with REM behavior disorder, "a condition that causes him to act out events in his dreams while remaining asleep." His dreams include bears that can open doors, jackals and Brad Pitt from Fight Club so you can imagine how messed up his condition is.

A blogger described Mike as being "pudgy and awkward" but I'm gonna go with "poochie and endearing." Also, did I mention he's fucking hilarious?

If you live in the New York area, you should definitely check it out. I'm guessing Mike might have to pay for some outstanding doctor bills.

No comments: