July 16, 2007

mp3 monday (New Feature!)


Every Monday (if I'm around -- I'll be out of town next week), I'll be posting an mp3 of a song that I hold near and dear. The thought behind this is to share my musical tastes and promote artists who probably will never make it into Jann Wenner's exclusive circle jerk. It is not an attempt to screw record companies (well, what's left of them). Hopefully some of you will be encouraged to support the artists who make these wonderful songs. Here goes...


Lene


For the first mp3 monday, I've chosen Lene Lovich's "New Toy" in honor of my wife's new iPhone. Lene was born in Detroit, Michigan to a British mother and Serbian father but moved to Hull, England when her father became mentally ill. She was signed to the legendary Stiff Records in 1978 and is probably best known for her song "Lucky Number" and her cover of Tommy James and the Shondells' "I Think We're Alone Now."

"New Toy" originally appeared on Lene's EP of the same name and can now be found on her greatest hits CD. The ridiculously catchy track was written by none other than Thomas "She Blinded Me with Science" Dolby who was a member of her touring band at the time. To hear it, click on Lene's pic above. Play it LOUD!

No comments: