February 16, 2006

Poor Peter


I've been searching the web for days, trying to find a video of Peter Gabriel performing John Lennon's Imagine at the Olympics. I finally found it. Hmmmn...


(Click here to watch the video, courtesy of Peter's World Blog)

Very sad. I remember when Peter could sing and had hair, sort of:

Bonus Video (featuring lots of hair. And some prancing about too!):

(Editor's note: Phil Collins might have actually been considered cool when these clips were made. It would take another 15 years or so for him to completely destroy all of his cool-cred by releasing "Sussudio" in 1990.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

excuse me, but who the fuck are you to criticize peter gabriel on one bad performance?

you think all your posts are gold? think you've ever posted anything close to solsbury hill?

no, you haven't.

and what's his crime? oh, he got old.

way to let your free flag fly.

fuckhead.

Krup said...

wow. such hostility. all i was doing was pointing out, as a HUGE peter gabriel fan, the fact that he didn't sound so hot. for one thing, the octave he chose was all wrong for the current condition of his voice. and that saddened me. plus, i included two (count 'em!) absolutely brilliant vintage genesis clips, so what the hell do you want from me?

p.s. - i thought my "pointy hats = yay, jimmy hats = nay" post (http://krupsjustsayin.blogspot.com/2005/11/pointy-hats-yay-jimmy-hats-nay.html) was almost as fun as, say, "moribund the burgermeister"

Anonymous said...

I gotta agree with the original post...I'm a huge Lennon fan, and a huge Peter Gabriel fan, but I think Pete's instincts were way off here. He took a beautiful inspirational song and turned it into a dirge. With his voice and talent he could've turned it into something really moving like Don't Give Up or In Your Eyes. It's cool to see the song get a world wide showcase though, a timeless anthem for the future~ Allan