October 18, 2005

Ono They Didn't*




From Salon's The Fix:
At the Q music awards in London last week, Yoko Ono seemed to take an odd swipe at Paul McCartney, recounting a story about the time hubby John Lennon asked her why "they always cover Paul's songs and never mine." "I said, 'You're a good songwriter, it's not June with Spoon that you write," Ono said, referring to a McCartney rhyme. "'You're a good singer and most musicians are probably a little bit nervous about covering your songs.'"

Now Paul has fired back, in a typically understated way: "I don't think she's the brightest of buttons. I don't want to get in a bun fight but she's said some particularly daft things in her time." Trying hard not to say anything unduly nasty, he confined himself to, "Yoko is something else. Her life is dedicated to putting me down, that's what she seems to do all the time. But she will notice that I attempt very strongly not to put her down, I have respect for her as my former comrade's wife."



*Headline admittedly stolen from a source I can no longer find. Damn it's good.

No comments: