February 21, 2005

He's a Joker, He's a Smoker, He's a Midnight Toker


"I'm a Sinner."
Holding the Bag


So sayeth (saideth?) the 43rd President of the United States:
"I don't want any kid doing what I tried to do 30 years ago," Bush said in recordings made when he was governor of Texas and aired Monday on ABC's Good Morning America. "And I mean that. It doesn't matter if it's LSD, cocaine, pot, any of those things, because if I answer one, then there will be another one. And I just am not going to answer those questions. And it may cost me the election."
I always figured fratboy smoked pot and snorted coke. But LSD? Awesome, dude! And you gotta love that the recordings were made by a guy named Doug Wead. Here's another highlight:
"I have always loved marijuana. It has been a source of joy and comfort to me for many years. And I still think of it as a basic staple of life, along with beer and ice and grapefruits - and millions of Americans agree with me."
Well, actually that was Hunter Thomspon who said that. Couldn't resist...


Editor's Note: I find it interesting that different news outlets chose to highlight different quotes. My first link includes this statement...
"I'm not going to kick gays, because I'm a sinner. How can I differentiate sin?"
...but leaves out the coke, pot and LSD quote. The second link does the opposite. Curious "reporting," no?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a must read, I have emailed it to everybody I know... if it is right it is the story of the war...

Suburban Guerrilla

In MemoriamToday I'm going to do something a little bit like journalism, except I haven't done any real follow-up. Still, it's an important issue, and I'd like any Google maestros reading to help.

Go to your local newspaper site, or TV station site, and do a search for "local man woman killed wounded Iraq". Weed out the duplicates, total the numbers, and then check them against the casualty lists, because there's something funny going on here.

I started to notice something several months ago. The local papers would interview the mother of someone killed or wounded in Iraq, and more often than not, there'd be a bitter aside: "Of course, for some reason, he's not included in the offical totals."

Somehow, that struck a chord. And the thought crystallized: They're lying about the numbers. Think about it - it's absurd to think they wouldn't, considering everything else they've done.

So I started reading. Here's what I've found.