February 28, 2005

The Gates:

Been There. Done That.

gates I would never presume to be an art critic as many people in the MSM and blogosphere seem to think they are (yes, I'm talking about people like you, Keith "They look like crap" Olbermann), but I know what I like and I like what I know. Was (were?) The Gates a profound, moving experience? No. Beautiful? No, but cool...and cool's pretty good in my book.gates Was the experience of walking through Central Park on a crisp, sunny day with my wife gates and hundreds (thousands?) of fellow New Yorkers, tourists and dogs, while being surrounded/engulfed by a seemingly endless amount of "saffron" a trip? Most definitely.
gates
With that said, I would consider this subway "installation"
subway
just as much a work of art as The Gates, so what the hell do I know? (Obviously not a helluva lot since my wife informed me, right after I took that pic, that it's illegal to do so ever since 9/11. It would appear that our city is still being terrorized.)

2 comments:

Patricia said...

I never saw The Gates in person, but slowly got sold on the whole thing as it went on. I don't know if it's art, but I did become pretty impressed with the design of it. Looking at so many great photos it became clearer and clearer how the boxy orange gates against the monochromatic but multi-layered background that Central Park in February provides could only be done where it was and the way it was done.

My daughter and her husband did go into the city last week and were pretty surprised at how cool it was. She told me that it was a visual trip and seemed to make people want to walk through the park and put people in a great mood. At the very least it was a hell of a happening.

mcn42 said...

I work for the MTA now, and you are so busted...